Friday, October 26, 2007

More Fire News

Well, it's day 5 and the fires are starting to get contained. Pretty much everyone has gone home and they closed the Qualcomm shelter. There's smoke in the air, but the index says it's really only a threat to "sensitive groups." You know, like organisms that require oxygen to live. I know I feel like I've ramped up to a 2-pack a day habit since Monday. On top of that, you really can't go running or biking, which is driving me nuts. I haven't worked out in a week. I know, I'm suffering. I just have to be strong a little longer.

Snarkiness aside, this has blown over and looks to be ending well, at least in my personal sphere. No one I know lost anything (that I've heard about) and my parents were back in their house Wednesday night. We've been back at work since Wednesday morning. (Lucky us.)

All told, as hard as it's been on the city, it could have been far, far worse. The evacuations worked. Reverse 911 apparently did what it was supposed to. The firefighters and police kept things under control, and people came together to help each other out. Pretty impressive, really.

Take care, everyone.

No comments: