Sunday, March 2, 2008

Another Week Down

I finally did Iron Mountain. Well, most of it. I still can't run, so my plan was to go bike only. Ride with the team and sit out the run. The weather scotched that. Thanks to cloud cover and a persistent need for people to be able to see while riding really fast downhill, we did the run first. I got nominated to help with SAG at the run turnaround, about 1.5 miles up the mountain.

I carried the water (several gallons) up and went back down to a break in the trail to make sure everyone went the right way. Walked the last person up to the turnaround and then walked out carrying the remaining water.

Thankfully, I was allowed to ride off on my own when we got back, since we'd missed the last rider to leave by at least 20 minutes. I did the whole route, and pretty fast, if I do say so myself. I won't set any records, but it was a solid performance for a 30 miler. Did I mention that the last 8-10 miles (Coach wasn't sure.) are uphill?

Strangely enough, the only part of me that was sore today was my shoulders from lugging the water, though in the interest of full disclosure, I did spend about a half hour with my foot firmly planted on a bag of frozen corn when I got home.

I did the ocean swim, but only the beginner part, since a couple of participants asked me for help with their swim. It was really choppy today, hard to navigate and the currents were up, so a lot of the beginners had some trouble. After we got them back to shore, a few of us mentors went back and did a second short lap. It felt really good to let loose a bit and charge.

On the rehab front, I'm seeing a doctor on Wednesday about my foot. Hopefully, he'll set me right. He did last time. Oh, and since I can't run, I broke down and bought a bike trainer. I did my own little spin class in my living room tonight. I'm such a geek. Bedtime now. Until the next post.

No comments: